Elsa Marisol Pichardo, MD, FACS
Dr. Elsa Marisol Pichardo is a board-certified general surgeon. She specializes in both benign and malignant hepatobiliary and pancreatic disease and surgery. Dr. Pichardo has extensive training in liver tumors, liver cysts, gallbladder disease, gallbladder cancer, pancreatitis, pancreatic cysts, and pancreatic cancer. Dr. Pichardo practices both minimally invasive and open surgical approaches.
In addition to her compassionate surgical oncology practice, Dr. Pichardo also has a very active practice in benign general surgery disease, including repair of several different types of hernias and removal of masses or growths in the skin, fat and muscle. She performs several different types of surgical biopsies. She performs surgery in both a hospital setting as well as an outpatient surgical center. She strives to have the best outcome for her patients and aim for quick recovery to get her patients back to a healthy state.
Dr. Pichardo graduated with high honors from Rutgers University in 2004. She obtained a Doctorate of Medicine at Columbia University, College of Physician and Surgeons, New York, NY in 2009. She then completed her general surgery residency training at Robert Wood Johnson Medical School, Rutgers University, where she was awarded multiple recognition, including the John H. Landor teaching award. Dr. Pichardo then completed a two-year complex Hepatobiliary and Pancreatic Surgery Fellowship at Oregon Health and Science University.Her research efforts regarding liver disease have been published in scientific journals for nearly a decade. She has presented at multiple academic meetings and conferences both nationally and internationally. She has completed certification in fundamentals of laparoscopic surgery and received Americas Hepato-Pancreato-Biliary Association (AHPBA) accreditation in hepatobiliary and pancreatic surgery. She is a member of multiple surgical societies including the American College of Surgery, AHPBA, and IHPBA.
A native of Central New Jersey, Dr. Pichardo is committed to providing surgical and oncological care to her local community. She is fluent in Spanish and her interests outside of medicine include spending time with her family and cooking.
Journal Articles (Peer Reviewed):
- Bae C, Pichardo EM, Huang H, et al. The benefits of hypothermic machine perfusion are enhanced with Vasosol and α-tocopherol in rodent donation after cardiac death livers. Transplant Proc.2014 Jun;46(5):1560-6.
- Chang MS, Olsen SK, Pichardo EM, et al. Prevention of de novo hepatitis B in recipients of core antibody-positive livers with lamivudine and other nucleos(t)ides: a 12-year experience.Transplantation.2013 Apr 15;95(7):960-5.
- Chang MS, Olsen SK, Pichardo EM, et al. Prevention of de novo hepatitis B with adefovir plus vaccination in recipients of liver transplants from core antibody-positive donors. Liver Transpl.2013 Apr;19(4):462.
- Verna EC, Brown RS Jr., Farrand E, Pichardo EM, et al. Urine Neutrophil Gelatinase-Associated Lipocalin Identifies Acute Kidney Injury and Predicts Mortality in Patients with Cirrhosis. Dig Dis Sci. 2012 Sep;57(9):2362-70.
- Verna EC, Valadao R, Farrand E, Pichardo EM, Lai JC, Terault NA, Brown RS Jr. Effects of ethnicity and socioeconomic status on survival and severity of fibrosis in liver transplant recipients with hepatitis C virus.Liver Transpl. 2012 Apr;18(4):461-7.
- Chang MS, Olsen SK, Pichardo EM, et al. Prevention of de novo hepatitis B with adefovir dipivoxil (ADV) in recipients of liver grafts from hepatitis B core antibody positive (HBcAb+) donors.Liver Transpl.2012 Mar 16.
- Verna EC, Farrand ED, Elnaggar AS, Pichardo EM et al. Basiliximab induction and delayed calcineurin inhibitor initiation in liver transplant recipients with renal insufficiency. Transplantation.2011 Jun 15;91(11):1254-60.
- Lai JC, Pichardo EM, Emond JC, Brown RS Jr. Resource utilization of living donor versus deceased donor liver transplantation is similar at an experienced transplant center. Am J Transplant. 2009 Mar;9(3):586-91.
- PichardoEM, Olsen S and Brown RS Jr. Viral hepatitis and renal failure. Current Hepatitis Reports 2009 8 (3): 119-126.